Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Close to Famous by Joan Bauer

Foster McFee has a dream. One day, she's going to be a star, host of her own cooking show. But right now the only star in sight is the one on her apron. Foster and her mom are on the run from the disaster that was her mom's boyfriend. They land in Culpepper, West Virginia, a small town just right for big dreams. Foster's baking skills are soon famous. She's made friend. Is all too good to be true?

What I thought: Well, I've read every novel Joan Bauer has ever written and her latest didn't disappoint me. I think Close to Famous will garner a Newbery Honor or maybe a mention on ALSC's Children's Notable Book List. Foster has a great voice. She's a well rounded character complete with flaws, fears, and talents. I think Close to Famous might join Backwater, Squashed, and Hope Was Here on my list of Bauer favorites. The only thing that could make this book better would be recipes. After reading it, I wanted to bake. A cupcake cookbook is on my "to buy" list.

Here are a few other food books I've read and reviewed: The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler, It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder, and Eggs Over Evie by Alison Jackson.

My reviews of Joan Bauer's other books:
Squashed
Sticks
Backwater
Stand Tall
Peeled

(Viking, 2010)

No comments: