Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Peeled by Joan Bauer

Bauer, Joan. Peeled. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 2008.

Hildy Biddle is reporter for her high school paper. Her father was also a journalist. Hildy takes the news seriously. She wants to giver her readers an honest portrayal of the facts. The biggest story in her small town is a ghost. Strange things have bee happening at the old Ludlow house. The town's newspaper is blowing things out of proportion. Due to The Bee's untrue & confirmed reporting the people of Banesville, New York are running scared. Hildy uncovers a plot on her town to scare the people so a ghost theme park can move in. Hildy takes up her pen, even after the high school paper has been shut down, to give her town the real news.

What I thought: Joan Bauer is a favorite author of mine and I wasn't disappointed in her newest book. I admire Hildy's strength in battling the mayor, the Bee's editor, and the developers. Not only can she write, but she's courageous. I particularly enjoyed Hildy's struggle to become a better journalist. I am now intrigued by the differences in creative writing and journalism.

"Finding a good boyfriend was like trying to find a ghost." ~Hildy Biddle

1 comment:

ttulizzy said...

I read Peeled this summer and enjoyed it as well. I really liked the mystery/journalism aspect.