Monday, November 15, 2010

It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder

Twelve year old Isabel wants to travel more than anything. As she's never been out of Oregon, she envies her Aunt Christy who is a flight attendant. While Isabel dreams of traveling, her mother is opening a cupcake shop. Before she knows it, baking presents Isabel with the chance to travel. But can she survive summer--the opening of the shop, her mom's up and down moods, her best friend away at camp?


What I thought: This was an okay book. I liked the idea of the story, but I wasn't thrilled with Isabel's mom's drama. It's sad when a twelve year old knows how to deal with her mom's moods (and she has a lot of them). Isabel and Sophie have a great relationship. I also liked all the other supporting characters. They added an eclectic realism to the book. The cover hints at a fun, frothy confection of a book suitable for older Fancy Nancy/Pinkalicious fans. While that holds true for the most part, I still have reservation about Isabel's mom. It's Raining Cupcakes is worth reading, but it's not one of my favorites.


(Scholastic, 2010)

No comments: