Friday, July 2, 2010

The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler

They're taking a break. That's all Penny's parents are saying. Her dad's still in the city and her mom's opened a cupcake bakery in her hometown. Penny misses city life and her friends. Adjusting to life in Hog Hollow isn't easy especially when the most popular girl in Penny's class hates her. Can Penny survive the break without breaking herself?

What I thought: A refreshing book. I liked everything about this book--the characters, the setting, the cupcakes. Hepler offers readers a believable story. Penny struggles--many readers will relate to her struggles. Penny's artistic nature appealed to me. I like the details of cupcake design Hepler included. Hepler reminds me of Joan Bauer. This is what we need more of--fresh realistic voices.

(New York, Dutton, 2009)

No comments: