Friday, May 15, 2015

Kaya: An American Girl Party

I wanted to have a Kaya event in November in honor of Native American Heritage Month. I had 2 sources of inspiration for the event: Kelly's Kaya American Girl Club and the All About Kaya Event Kit.

We started off with the Icebreaker Activity from the event kit.

After that I shared some information from Welcome to Kaya's World 1764: Growing Up in a Native American Homeland (Glossary of Nez Perce Words, The Nez Perce Calendar, Ancient Homelands, Play with a Purpose, Dresses from Deer, Adornments), The Nez Perce by David C. King, and The Nez Perce by Nancy Bonvillain.

I had three game options: Fur or Feathers (from the event kit), Pine cones through the hoop, and animal races (both suggested by Kelly...linked above).


For the craft, we made rosettes (from the event kit).


Our refreshments were suggested by Kelly's event: goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, sunflower seeds, and water.

This spring, I had a Julie party (post coming soon!). This fall, I'll be having Kit, Samantha, and Caroline parties. Next spring, I'll be having a Josefina party around Cinco de Mayo. 

Other American Girl Events I've Hosted:
Kit
Molly
Kirsten

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bridget,

I'm trying to plan an activity at our library using the Kaya Activity Kit, but it seems to be no longer available online. Do you happen to have a PDF copy that you could post or email?

Thanks,
Brigid