Saturday, April 9, 2022

Hi, Koo! A Year of Seasons by Jon J. Muth



26 short poems take you through the seasons--fall, winter, spring, and summer. 

Thoughts: A lovely collection of haiku suitable for the youngest children. I love the images the poems put in my mind even before I note the pages' illustrations. The watercolor and ink illustrations are charming. I want to have my very own panda bear like Koo! I have a poetry storytime scheduled for later this month and I've settled on spring as my theme. I'm going to share the spring sections of various seasonal poetry collections along with a few spring themed picture books. I would like to do the same with all the other seasons as they happen this year. My favorite poems are dance, king, crocuses, and tic-tac-toe. 

The author's note explains what haiku is and makes readers aware of an alphabet scavenger hunt throughout the book. Can you find all 26 words A to Z? I've had an idea for a writing exercise for older kids to go along with the book. Read Hi, Koo! and then use the alphabet words to create your own haiku. The alphabet words: autumn, broom, coat, dance, eating, friend, gathers, heart, icicles, just, king, long, morning, new, out, puddles, quiet, reading, sad, tiny, up, violet, water, Xs, your, and zero.

Other Seasonal Poetry Collections for Children: 

Themes: Seasons, Poetry, Elementary

(Scholastic, 2014.)

No comments: