Monday, April 11, 2022

A Spectacular Selection of Sea Critters by Betsy Franco


A colorful collection of concrete poems explores ocean creatures. 

Thoughts: A colorful interesting collection! I think A Spectacular Selection of Sea Critters has broad appeal. Kids who like colorful books, kids who like graphic novels, kids who like the ocean. This collection will come in handy for my summer programs as the CSLP theme is oceanography. My favorite poems are "Box Jellies," "Seahorse," "Limerick: Trumpet Fish," "Fishy Names," "Parrot Fish," and "Boxfish/Cowfish." I love Wertz' limited palette of blues, oranges, reds, and yellows. My favorite illustration is "Fishy Names." 

Other Poetry Collections by Betsy Franco 

Other Concrete Poetry Books

  • A Poke in the I collected by Paul B. Janeczko
  • Ode to a Commode by Brian P. Cleary
  • Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems by Bob Raczka 

Themes: Ocean, Fish

(Illustrated by Michael Wertz. Millbrook Press, 2015.)

No comments: