Monday, April 4, 2022

Beautiful Day! Petite Poems for All Seasons by Rodoula Pappa


Twenty haiku-inspired poems that take you through the seasons. 

Thoughts: Lovely little poems (five for each season) paired with gorgeous illustrations makes this poetry collection for the youngest readers a gem. I love that the poems are haiku-inspired and don't adhere rigidly to the rules. The information on the front flap of the book cover provides a succinct introduction to haiku and even gives a writing tip. Seng Soun's illustrations are a visual feast. The bright colors paired with Japanese patterns (I'm assuming from fabric and paper) are so lovely to look at. I found myself going back to look at them repeatedly and I saw new details every time. I love all the illustrations, but I especially like the kites, birds, origami, and kokeshi dolls. I think this book would make a fabulous addition to my storytimes and home libraries. 

Fun fact about me: I crocheted a kokeshi doll for a good friend who lived in Japan briefly as a child when her dad was in the military.  

Other Seasonal Poetry Collections for Children: 

Themes: Seasons, Play, Nature 

(Illustrated by Seng Soun Ratanavanh. Cameron Kids, 2021.)

No comments: