Friday, April 1, 2022

The Dirt Book: Poems about Animals that Live Beneath Our Feet by David L. Harrison

Have you ever wondered what goes on in the dirt beneath your feet? The Dirt Book offers poems about fifteen animals that live down in the ground. 

Thoughts: I really enjoyed this poetry collection. I love the rhythm of the poems and the language Harrison uses. One phrase that caught my fancy was "mole troll soul" from the poem "Mole: Worm Search." My favorite poems in addition to mole are "Earthworm: Dirty Work," "Mouse: Nightfall Calls," and "Gopher Tortoise: The Inn Keeper." I can definitely see myself incorporating these poems into storytime. If I use the collection as a whole it would be great for an underground animals storytime. I could also use the poems individually to add a bit of STEM poetry to a storytime theme. For reference, the animals in the collection are doodlebug, trapdoor spider, earthworm, ant, grub, mouse, bumblebee, yellow jacket wasp, mole, toad, chipmunk, and gopher tortoise. 

The illustrations are fabulous! They are both colorful and detailed. I love the soft colors of the colored pencils. Cosgrove's illustrations are quite reminiscent of watercolor. I like the lack of outlines. The vertical panorama style suits the subject perfectly. My favorite illustrations are earthworm (love the purple turnips), mouse (love the lavish use of lavender), bumblebee (again with the purples), and toad.

The Author Notes provide more information about all the animals mentioned in the poems as well as the dirt in which they live. The bibliography as well as the knowledge that the information in the collection was reviewed by an expert, reassures readers, parents, teachers, and librarians that this book is well-researched in addition to being engaging.  

An NSTA Outstanding Science Trade Book for Students
An NCTE Notable Poetry Book
A 2021 Cybils Poetry Nomination

Download activity sheets from the publisher's website here

Themes: Underground Animals, Insects 

(Illustrated by Kate Cosgrove. Holiday House, 2021.)

No comments: