Monday, October 5, 2020

If You Want a Friend in Washington: Wacky, Wild & Wonderful Presidential Pets by Erin McGill


This book explores the many presidential pets: dogs, cats, horses, farm animals, bigger animals, birds, and small critters.

Thoughts: What a fun book! The facts and illustrations are great. I learned more about presidential pets than I knew before. I was very interested to discover that President Coolidge was gifted a pygmy hippo. I love the illustrations (cut paper, ink, gouache, marker, and colored pencil). They are fun and appealing. I also like the photos on the end pages. The note at the end provides even more information about the presidents and their pets. I look forward to adding this to my pets storytime as well as sharing with elementary school students. 

If you want to know more about the presidents and/or their pets, you should checkout Who Named Their Pony Macaroni?: Poems about White House Pets by Marilyn Singer, Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents by David Stabler, and Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems about Our Presidents by Marilyn Singer

*Link is to the blurb I wrote for Cybils. 

Themes: Pets, Elementary

(Schwartz & Wade Books, 2020.)

No comments: