Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Best Worst Poet Ever by Lauren Stohler

Cat and Pug are both poets, but they approach creation differently. Will they ever be friends? Who is the best poet?

Thoughts: Hilarious! I don't normally do voices when I read, but I think these two characters deserve distinct voices when you read The Best Worst Poet Ever aloud. I can't wait to share this with first and second graders in April for National Poetry Month. I hear the kids now laughing at the insults Cat and Pug hurl at each other. It also goes well with an event I did years ago, It's Raining Cats and Dogs Poetry Break Storytime. I love the illustrations. Cat and Pug have very different personalities and those are expressed well in the illustrations. My favorite illustrations are when they decide to write together (Cat with a ream of paper and Pug with a typewriter on his head) and the cover illustration. 

Themes: Poetry, Dogs, Cats, Elementary 

(Atheneum Books for Young Readers 2020.)

No comments: