Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Toads on Toast by Linda Bailey

Fox is bored with catching a toad every day. One trip to the bookstore, several cookbooks, and a family of toadlets later Fox finds himself making toads on toast. Mamma Toad is outraged. Can she tempt Fox to try a different recipe and save her children?

What I thought: Toads on Toast is hilarious! I can't wait to pair it with My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza for a Outsmarting the Fox story time. I might also use Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes by Margie Palatini. It's a bit long for the preschool crowd, but I try to shorten it some. I love the dark colors Colin Jack used in the illustrations. Fox is especially well done. I also like how he gives each toadlet a personality. Mamma is great...I love her red hair. Any other fox stories I should add to my list for Outsmarting the Fox?

Story Time Themes: Cooking, Outsmarting the Fox, Frogs & Toads

(Illus. Colin Jack. Kids Can Press, 2012)

No comments: