Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Roger is a means to an end. Amy's mom needs her car in Connecticut. Amy's not driving. Not after what happened. To get the car from California to Connecticut, Amy's mom arranges for the son of a family friend to drive her car and Amy cross country. The perfectly planned four day road trip turns into a journey of detours as Amy deals with her grief and Roger makes peace with his ex-girlfriend.


What I thought: This was a good book with a great story. I loved the journal pages that were interspersed throughout the book. They added such interest to the story. Roger and Amy's relationship was hard to figure out. First, he played the role of family friend/big brother; then, a friend; and finally, an interested guy. Well, I guess that's the progression that most relationships take. I enjoyed how Amy's story (why her grief and guilt were so bad) was revealed little by little. It really kept me reading. On a side note, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour fits perfectly into the 2011 Collaborative Summer Library Program's Teen Theme: You Are Here. In fact, I used this book in the "Take a Road Trip" section of my Read Across the US book list for teens.


(Simon & Schuster, 2010)

No comments: