Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse by Beatrix Potter

First published 1918
59 pages, 28 color illustrations

An unexpected visit to town confirms for country mouse Timmy Willie that the country is the place to be. Likewise, a planned sojourn in the country in the country proves to Johnny Town-Mouse that town is the only place to be.

The History Behind the Tale (Linder 243-244):
Johnny Town-Mouse's history is scant. It is, of course, Beatrix Potter's version of Aesop's "The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse." This latest offering by Beatrix was well received by both reviewers and the public.

My thoughts: A nice version of a familiar story. Beatrix's charming illustrations make all the difference. I agree with the reviews Linder mentioned--I much prefer Timmy Willie to Johnny Town-Mouse. He's such an appealing character. Likely because he's chubby and cuddly.

Favorite Illustrations: Timmy Willie at home (32), Timmy Willie in garden (35), Timmy Willie outside his burrow (44), Timmy Willie & Johnny Town-Mouse with wheat (55), Timmy Willie waving goodbye to Johnny Town-Mouse

Activities:
I'm having a hard time thinking of any that I haven't already suggested for the other books. How about a field trip? One to the country and one to the city. Decide like our characters which one you like better. Read City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems.

Favorite Words: clattering, exclamation, insignificant, rumbling, middling

I hope you've enjoyed my discussion of The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse. I'll be skipping Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes until I can locate a copy. Next week, I'll be exploring The Tale of Little Pig Robinson. Until then, happy reading!

No comments: