Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reading Resolutions 2011

It's that time of year again. With only one more day left in 2010, it is definitely time to think ahead to the coming year and What Will Bridget Be Reading?

It's been a big year for me and the blog. I've finally found the perfect position. I'm the Youth Services Librarian for a Regional Library in North Carolina that serves four libraries. I love my work.

As for the blog, it celebrated its second anniversary in September. I've finally written a review policy and an "About Me" page (which now that I think about it, needs updated!). I've had three Reading Projects this year, Ramona, Harry Potter, and Beatrix Potter. The Potters aren't quite finished yet.

And now for my reading resolutions. I personally want to read more YA historical fiction and more middle grade fiction. To that end, I've decided to participate in 4 Reading Challenges in 2011. I have yet to participate in one and am excited about them.

Bridget's 2011 Reading Challenges:
2011 Page to Screen Reading Challenge: I plan to concentrate on children's and YA books that I've seen the movies for, but haven't read the book. At the moment, I'm only committing to the challenge minimum of 5, but I'll probably read more.

Full Steampunk Ahead Challenge: This will be the most time consuming as the minimum reading level is 10 books. I've read some steampunk and enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to exploring the genre more fully.

Edgar Awards Reading Challenge: I love mysteries, but I don't seem to read a lot of Middle Grade or YA titles in the genre. This challenge is the perfect way to correct that oversight. I'm concentrating on the categories of Best Juvenile and Best Young Adult. I may read the winners or the nominees. I don't plan on reading anything published before 2000. I'm only committing to the Patrolman Level (1-3 books)

YA Historical Fiction Challenge 2011: I came to the realization earlier this year that most of the historical fiction I read is middle grade. This challenge seemed like the perfect way to rectify the lapse. I'm committing to the Inquisitive Level (1-3 books), but I'll likely read more.

Note: All challenges begin January 1, 2011 and end December 31, 2011.

None of the challenges require book lists, but I'm a planner. In the next few weeks, I'll have individual posts for each of the challenges with my tentative reading lists.

In addition to these 4 challenges, I will also be participating in the newly formed SurLaLune Book Club. The reading selections for the first three months of 2011 are already available. I'm looking forward to reading them.
January: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
February: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales edited by Kate Bernheimer
March: A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

2011 is going to be a busy and bookish year. Happy New Year to all readers! Happy Reading in the New Year!

2 comments:

iubookgirl said...

I'm so glad you chose to participate in the Edgar Awards Reading Challenge! Thanks!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

I'm really looking forward to the challenge! Thanks for sponsoring it.