Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles by J. Patrick Lewis

In riddles (or poems), J. Patrick Lewis offers a review or synopsis of 13 children's books.
Some are old classics. Some are beloved favorites. Can you guess the book in each riddle?

What I thought: What a book of books! I look that Lewis mixes classics with newer books. I wonder how he chose the 13 titles he did. Munsinger's illustrations are great. I love the 2 detectives and their canine cohort. I hope we'll see a sequel to Spot the Plot.

Story Time Ideas: The possibilities are endless. A fairy tale theme is possible as Lewis mentions two. Children's classics is another theme (using Peter Rabbit, Madeline, and Ferdinand). New favorites is yet another them (Tacky and Click, Clack, Moo). With older children, they can write riddles for their favorite books.

(Illus. Lynn Munsinger. San Fransisco: Chronicle Books, 2009)

No comments: