Friday, January 29, 2010

Spells by Emily Gravett

Frog isn't thrilled to find an old book of spells. He'd much rather it be about pirates or castles. Then, he realizes he can use the book to turn himself into a prince. After several attempts (owing to the book's disheveled state from his imaginings), Frog gets the spell right. Unfortunately, the much coveted kiss of a princess reverses the spell and he's a frog again.

What I thought: The idea of the story is great and it reads well. I liked the darker illustrations. They really make the frog stand out. What I didn't like was the cut pages in the section where frog is tyring the spells. They were awkward to maneuver and would likely be more so during a story time. I understand why they're like that, but they just didn't work for me. I plan to give the book another read through soon. I think this book would be better for one on one readings (e.g., mom & kid) as opposed to story time use. Spells has been popular at my library. I don't think I've seen it since I returned it.

(New York: Simon & Schuster, 2009)

No comments: