Monday, June 5, 2023

Line Up! Animals in Remarkable Rows by Susan Stockdale


Kids are often asked to line up. Did you know that some animals in nature also line up? Their reasons are a little different. They're not headed to the cafeteria for lunch, but they line up all the same. 

Thoughts: Susan Stockdale remains one of my favorite authors of nonfiction for the youngest children. Line Up! did not disappoint. I think it's genius to start with a concept children are familiar with (lining up) and then proceed to explore animals in their natural habitats through that lens. I know I learned something from reading the book. The illustrations are colorful and appealing. I love how the style varies some from animal to animal. My favorite are the arctic wolves and the fairywrens. The endpapers are also very interesting with lines of the animals in outlined white on a colored background. The back matter provides readers with more information about all the featured animals (type of animal, location, and why they line up). Visit the publisher's website here for activity sheets and a teacher's guide. 

Don't miss these other books by Susan Stockdale! (Links are to my reviews.) 

Themes: Animals, Lines 

(Peachtree, 2023.)

No comments: