Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Nine: A Book of Nonet Poems by Irene Latham


A girl is turning nine and this book of nonet poems helps her count down to her celebration. 

Thoughts: I don't think I'd heard of the nonet poem before reading this book. I know I've never tried writing one. It's an intriguing form and one I think kids will like to try. My favorite poems are Nonet, Play Ball!, Nine-Banded Armadillo, Ninth President, and Game Night. The mixed media illustrations are colorful and lively. I can see myself sharing Nine: A Book of Nonet Poems with classes of older elementary students and then inviting them to try their hands at writing their own nonet. Irene Latham even has a handout on her website called How to Write a Nonet.

Themes: Elementary

(Illustrated by Amy Huntington. Charlesbridge, 2020.)

No comments: