Monday, March 8, 2021

Catch the Sky: Playful Poems on the Air We Share by Robert Heidbreder

Short poems celebrate all the things you might see in the sky. 

Thoughts: These short, fun poems will be wonderful to share with children. This collection reminds me of The Great Frog Race and Other Poems by Kristine O'Connell George in that it is a celebration of childhood. I could see myself sharing this whole collection during storytime or just sharing a few as they relate to a theme (living things with wings, for example). I love the word choice and the imagery used in the poems. My favorite poems are Dragonfly, Starlings, Elephant Cloud, Crows, and Fireflies. The illustrations are detailed and saturated with color. Each tow-page spread features two poems. I love seeing children of all ethnicities represented. My favorite illustrations are Catch the Sky, Hot-Air Balloon, Rain, Storm, and Moonrise. 

Themes: Numerous

(Illustrated by Emily Dove. Greystone Kids, 2020.)

No comments: