Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Snow Birds by Kirsten Hall


Some birds migrate south during the winter. Some don't. Have you ever wondered what the nonmigratory birds do during the winter? Kirsten Hall's poems in Snow Birds explores that question for seventeen different birds. 

The Birds: Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Common Redpoll, Snow Bunting, Snow Goose, Black Rosy-Finch, Atlantic Puffin, Ivory Gull, Bohemian Waxwing, Great Gray Owl, Ruffed Grouse, Snowy Owl, Black-Capped Chickadee, Golden-Crowned Kinglet, American Tree Sparrow, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal

Thoughts: I'm partial to birds and poetry so I enjoyed this collection. The idea behind it is unique. Some of the birds I'd never heard of before. Others I see almost every day outside my window. I enjoyed the different types of poems featured. I like that the birds' sounds were included. I think children will enjoy trying out those sounds for themselves. (This would pair well with the Audubon Bird Guide App.) My favorite poems are Carolina Wren, Great Gary Owl, Snowy Owl, Black-Capped Chickadee, and Northern Cardinal. Jenni Desmond's mixed media illustrations are colorful and interesting. My favorites are the title page, both owls, Ruffed Grouse, Black-Capped Chickadee, Northern Cardinal, and the "Meet the Birds" section. The "Meet the Birds" section provides thumbnail illustrations of the birds along with additional information. These poems are simple enough to share a few during a preschool storytime or in their entirety with older children. 

Other Collections of Bird Poetry for Children


Themes: Birds, Winter

(Illustrated by Jenni Desmond. Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2020.)

No comments: