Friday, February 26, 2021

Ice! Poems about Polar Life by Douglas Florian


Douglas Florian explores the environment and animals of the polar regions in twenty-one poems. 

Thoughts: Douglas Florian is one of my favorite poets to share during storytime. I look forward to adding Ice! Poems about Polar Life to my wintry storytime themes. Florian's poems are both witty and informative. The extra information for each poem helps extend the poem and leaves the reader wanting to know more. My favorite poems are Polar Bear, Arctic Hare, Snowy Owl, Moose, Narwhal, and Caribou. The illustrations are great--humorous with a child-like quality. I've always said his illustrations appeal to kids because they are reminiscent of what kids could create. My favorite illustrations are the cover illustration, The Polar Regions (clearly shows penguins and polar bears don't live together), Musk Ox (I love his facial expression!), Artic Hare (it's so whimsical), and Narwhal (I like their smiles). 

Themes: Winter, Polar Bears, Penguins, North & South Poles 

(Holiday House, 2020)

No comments: