Friday, October 16, 2020

Beatrix Potter, Scientist by Lindsay H. Metcalf

This picture book biography of children's author and illustrator Beatrix Potter explores her interest in the natural world and science. Long before she decided to create books for children, she was an amateur scientist. 

Thoughts: I love that this book focuses on yet another aspect of Beatrix Potter besides her writing for children. I didn't discover her interest in nature until I read Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda Lear which is a great biography for teens and adults. I like that Beatrix Potter, Scientist makes that part of her life accessible for the youngest readers. Wu's illustrations are bright and colorful. My favorite is her rendition of the famous letter that started Beatrix on her adventure as an author and illustrator. 

ThemesBiography, Scientists, Authors & Illustrators, Artists, Elementary

If you find yourself more interested in Beatrix Potter after reading this book, you might check out my Beatrix Potter Reading Project that I undertook in 2010 and 2011.

More Books About Beatrix Potter for Kids: 

(Illustrated by Junyi Wu. Albert Whitman and Company, 2020.)

No comments: