Friday, October 11, 2013

May B by Caroline Starr Rose

Her family needs the money so May is sent to help out on a neighbor's farm. The man is well meaning enough, but wife is not at all suited to frontier life. One day, she runs away and her husband goes after her. They don't return and May is left alone, away from home, and it's months before her father will come to fetch her. Can a young girl survive on her own as winter comes to the prairie?

What I thought: I read May B in one sitting. It was riveting. I felt like I was there with her. I could feel her desperation, cold, and hunger. This is an awesome book. Like most verse novels, it was a quick read. It's one of my favorites--right up there with Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse. May's struggle with reading is heart wrenching. I like that the author considered what life would be like for a child who suffered from dyslexia. Give this book to fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series and Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson.

(Schwartz & Wade, 2012)

No comments: