Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Teen Event: Origami & Duct Tape Creations

In the aftermath of Summer Reading, I decided to go with a simple teen event in September. I've done a duct tape event before in March 2012 and we did origami as part of a Japanese Culture Night in July 2011.

I provided snacks. Food is always important in teen programs. Then I set out the supplies along with books and instructions and let the teens create. Supplies included duct tape, sharpies, rulers, scissors, origami paper, and pencils (for stem of rose).


I had these books available for ideas: Got Tape? Roll Out the Fun with Duct Tape! By Ellie Schiedermayer, The Duct Tape Book: 25 Projects to Make with Duct Tape by Jolie Dobson,  and The Kids’ Guide to Duct Tape Projects by Sheri Bell-Rehwoldt. I also found some ideas on the Duck Brand website (flower ring, woven coaster, rose, ninja star).  

 
The origami instructions came from Origami Club (goldfish, fox, dog, bear/polar bear) and Origami Fun (pelican, triangle box, drinking cup, horse, puffy bunny, jumping frog, twirling bird).

 
This event was well attended. 12 teens plus me and an intern. That's 5 more teens than our average attendance. We had some interesting and fun creations.

 
 
 
 

No comments: