Monday, July 15, 2013

Cinderella Around the World Event

Ever since I saw the idea for a Cinderella Around the World Event in the 2011 CSLP Manual (One World, Many Stories), I knew I wanted to host such an event. But 2011 was my first year doing a summer reading program and I just did the weekly events without any extra events.

Finally in the spring of this year, I was able to plan and host my own Cinderella Around the World Event. This event was for girls ages 7-12. I had 10 girls and 8 adults including me attend.

I began with a Mix & Match Cinderella on the flannel board. Thanks again to Melissa Depper for sharing her idea with me. This was an easy, visual way to explore the many versions of Cinderella from around the world. The age of the girls attended skewed a little younger than I was expecting. As such, they only wanted to use the pieces they were familiar with (pots & pans, fairy godmother, glass slipper, and pumpkin coach).

After that I read Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman and shared the poem "Cinderella's Double Life" from Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse by mArilyn Singer.

We then moved on the craft portion of the program. I recycled a few ideas from my previous Fancy Nancy parties. The girls made necklaces and fancy ponytail holders so we would be ready for the ball. They also colored/decorated their very own glass slippers.



Then they did tangram puzzles. This was a nod to the Chinese Cinderella and from the book Teaching with Cinderella Stories from Around the World by Kathleen M. Hollenbeck.

 
We played Pin the Jewel on the Crown and the girls posed with some photo props (wand, clock, and crown). We had refreshments and gave gave away door prizes (Disney Princesses jigsaw puzzles).

 

I had a display of Cinderella Versions and Variants (with book list) and country books.

 
A few activities we didn't have time for were a Cinderella Mad-Lib I found on PUBYAC and the ball gown wrap (Use toilet paper and/or crepe paper to make someone a ball gown.)
 
I'd like to do another event similar to this, but open it up to other fairy tales. I hope you enjoyed my reflection. If you have any ideas to share, please leave them in the comments. 


No comments: