Friday, February 22, 2013

#FlannelFriday: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, I'm planning and hosting a special story time on his actual birthday. I knew I needed a flannel board set to use. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish seemed the one that lends itself easiest to adaptation. Mel of Mel's Desk showcased a version that used copies from the book in her Dr. Seuss Baby Storytime, but I knew I wanted my pieces to be flannel. I searched the web and found a simple fish coloring sheet to use as a pattern. I only used the first 3 pages of the book...up to the fish in the car. I used the book as a reference for colors, but changed things up a bit too.



One fish: yellow outlined in red puff paint
Two fish: green outlined in green puff paint
Red fish: red outlined in yellow puff pant
Blue fish: blue outlined in light blue puff paint

 
Black fish: black outlined in silver puff paint with a yellow eye
Blue fish: blue outlined in light blue puff paint
Old fish: gray outlined in white puff paint
New fish: smaller pink outlined in darker pink puff paint


Star fish: white out lined in dark purple puff paint with light purple puff paint spots and a star in dark purple (The spots happened because I discovered that I cannot freehand a star shape.)
Car fish: orange outlined in orange puff paint
The car: I used a convertible clipart image from Microsoft Office and cropped the driver out. I re-sized a fish to fit in the car. The car is blue outlined in dark blue puff paint with gray wheels outlined in black puff paint.



At the end of the rhyme, I plan on asking the kids how many fish they see. It could be a tricky question as I expect some to count the two fish as one.  The correct answer is 11. So I made an "11" to add to the board.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

So cute! Love the paint outlines and the fish in the car is great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So, so cute! Perfect for Dr. Seuss' birthday!

Jane said...

I agree! Cute, perfect and smart. Love that you made the answer. Think I need to add this to my flannelize soon board. Thanks!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thank you, Kathryn, Erin, and Jane.