Friday, August 17, 2012

#FlannelFriday: "Goodnight Mummy" by Roger Stevens

I first used the poem "Goodnight Mummy" by Roger Stevens (from Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems collected by Jane Yolen & Andrew Fusek Peters) in February during the first Stuffed Animal Sleepover I ever hosted. I didn't get the response I expected from a poem I really liked.

As I was planning my Bedtime Preschool Story Time, I wanted a new flannel board story to use. I was inspired to turn "Goodnight Mummy" into an interactive flannel board set.


This is the most ambitious flannel project I've undertaken to date. There are 24 individual pieces to this set. I mostly used clipart for patterns with the occasional coloring sheet thrown in. All the pieces are somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. I outlined and added details to all the pieces with puff paint. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out.



Here's how I use this set during story time: I read the poem (which I now have memorized!) and place the pieces on my flannel board. Then I ask the children if they want to help me read it again. I give each child at least one piece to put on the board. After all the pieces are in place again, I read through the poem again with the children helping me. "Goodnight Mummy" reminds me of Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, 24 pieces! Well done! I would have gotten frustrated and given up half way through. I think Tigger is my favorite.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thanks! I made them in stages over a few days...taping cutting out, layering (people's hair), and then the puff. It wasn't too bad. I think it may be my favorite of all the sets I've made thus far.

Storytime Fun said...

Wow! 24 BEAUTIFUL pieces! I am impressed! Especially since I am intimidated by the paint...

I have not seen Goodnight Mummy. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing it this week. :o)

~ K ~

amanjohn said...

I haven't heard that poem. I need to look it up. It sounds fun! Thanks for sharing! Beautiful work!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thank you both for the nice comments! I really appreciate them.