Friday, April 6, 2012

Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems by Kristine O'Connell George

Being a big sister isn't easy especially when you have a little sister like Emma. In 14 poems, we discover the hardships of being a big sister and the unconditional love that's required.

What I thought: I loved this collection. I'm a big sister, but my little sister is only two years younger so I never experienced the woes of being a "big" (as in a lot older) sister. What I know about that kind of big sister, I got from books. George's poems expertly capture the relationship between the sisters. My favorite poems are "Picture Books," "Family Tree," "Emma's Birthday," "Telling Time," and "Cast." The illustrations are great--colorful and appealing. Emma Dilemma will pair well with Beezus and Ramona and Ramona the Pest.

Story Time Theme: Siblings

(Illus. Nancy Carpenter. Clarion, 2011)

No comments: