Monday, July 4, 2011

Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook by Anne Mazer & Ellen Potter

You want to be a writer? This is the book for you. Two skilled (and published) authors cover every topic from getting started, revision, and writer's block. It's all there.


What I thought: Wow! What a great book for young writers. I would have loved to have had a book like this when I was younger. I've read quite a few writing books (both for children and adults) and Spilling Ink is one of the better ones. A side note: as an adult, I still prefer the children's writing books. I loved the book's organization and how the different topics were covered in short essays. Spilling Ink is fun and upbeat. Not dull and monotonous like some writing books can be.


My favorite sections: Naming Your Characters (I've went through more baby name books that I can remember.), How to Write Dialogue (Truly eye-opening advice), and The Writing Habit (I need to make my own writing more of a habit!)


Page 217 has a great writing exercise. The Spilling Secrets Appendix (Ellen interviews Anne and vice versa) was so interesting. Before reading this book I wasn't at all familiar with these two authors. Their books are now at the top of my "To Read" list. Overall, Spilling Ink is an excellent book. I'm adding it to my other favorites: Writing Magic and Pizza, Pigs, & Poetry.



(Illus. Matt Phelan. Roaring Brook Press, 2010)

No comments: