Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

Little Red Chicken has a problem. She gets excited and interrupts the bedtime stories her papa reads to her. She just has to warn the characters . Will she ever stop interrupting and go to sleep?

What I thought: What a great book! I love Little Red Chicken. She's spunky and quite right. Why shouldn't she warn the characters. (Interesting idea: what if the stories didn't end after Little Red Chicken warned the book characters?) The illustrations are very nice. (Well, you know this book did receive a Caldecott Honor.) I love the saturated colors and lack of visible lines. My favorite illustration is when Little Red Chicken sees her papa has fallen asleep. I liked this book so much that I've compiled a list of other interrupting books with the help of the great PUBYAC subscribers. I'm looking forward to adding this story time to my fall schedule.

Story Time Themes: Interruptions, Chickens, Bedtime

(Candlewick, 2010)

2 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

I thought this was a cute book, but the kids almost need to have background knowledge of the folk tale characters depicted before reading to fully appreciate the story.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

I hadn't thought about that. The characters are so familiar to me as an adult. In that case, I could use it first during a fractured fairy tale story time then in an interruptions themed story time.