Monday, June 20, 2011

Sun & Moon, Ice & Snow by Jessica Day George

Unwanted and unnamed, the girl simply known as Lass leads a quiet life until the white reindeer come. After rescuing one, she finds that she can understand and communicate with animals. Her gift is important when the ice bear comes calling. She's asked to spend one year in his palace. She says yes, but when her curiosity gets the better of her, she finds herself on a quest to win back her prince. It's a quest that could end in death.

What I thought: Yet another wonderful retelling of "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." I really enjoyed the chapters that established our heroine's early years. Her stay with the ice bean and her quest definitely give a nod to the original tale. I loved what her brother and his story added to the book. Sun & Moon, Ice & Snow was action packed and hard to put down. I think Jessica Day George is fast becoming my favorite fairy tale reteller.

(Bloomsbury, 2008)

No comments: