Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Lily is a mermaid in a human world. Her goal--find her true love and bond with him before her 18th birthday. Every princess has to have a prince. Lily has two dilemmas. She's painfully shy around her crush Brody Bennett. Add to that her annoying neighbor Quince who always seems to thwart her plans to get closer to Brody. Can Lily meet her deadline? Will she find her true love?

What I thought: Okay, wow! I enjoyed this book so much that I read it a total of three times in a week. Mermaid books are quite popular (Lasky's Daughters of the Sea: Hannah and L. K. Madigan's The Mermaid's Mirror), but Childs' Forgive My Fins is the best I've read yet. The magic is in the palpable tension between Lily and Quince. They bicker nonstop, but occasionally you get a hint of something more. I freely admit to being a reader of romance novels. Lily and Quince's relationship is what most of those authors covet. The mermaid mythology was interesting without being overdone. I particularly liked the messenger gulls and the flash freezing. The epilogue was a cliffhanger, but even without it I would still be eager to read more about Lily and Quince. I hope I haven't given anything away in my review. I sincerely tried not to. The second book, Fins Are Forever, is due out on June 28.

(Katherine Tegen, 2010)

No comments: