Monday, June 6, 2011

Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

From Back Cover Blurb:

Seven kids.
One class.
One amazing teacher.
And the school year that changes their lives.

What I thought: Because of Mr. Terupt is something special. I wish I would have known about it earlier because I think it deserves recognition as a notable book. The seven narrators Buyea creates are wholly unique. Their thought, actions, and perceptions of their teacher blend to create the controlled chaos that is a classroom. My favorite narrators were Anna and Jessica. The shortness of the sections makes the book a quick read. The format will likely appeal to reluctant readers. Mr. Terupt is a great teacher. I can see that Buyea is such a teacher. I'm lucky to have had a few special teachers in my life. I loved that the narrators are a mix, 3 boys and 4 girls. This will make for a wider appeal. I wouldn't call this a boy book or a girl book. I call it a great book. Jessica and her books were wonderful. Beacuse of Mr. Terupt was a beautiful, inspiring book. I highly recommend it to everyone--kids, teachers, parents, librarians.

(Delacorte, 2010)

No comments: