Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood

Do you know how many kinds of quiet there are? This book explores many of them including making a wish quiet and first snowfall quiet.

What I thought: What a cute book! The idea behind it is interesting. I'm an adult and I've never thought of all the different kinds of quiet moments we have in our lives. Underwood expertly captures the kinds of quiet that children can relate to. My favorite kind of quiet from the book is story time quiet. My personal favorite kinds of quiet are looking at the Christmas tree quiet and writing a poem quiet.

The illustrations are lovely. I like the muted color palette with only hints of brighter color. My favorite illustrations are the car ride and the roller coaster.

I'm pleased to know that Underwood and Liwska have another book coming out on April 4th, The Loud Book.

Story Time Theme: Time (because all the quiet moments could happen within the course of a day, week, etc.)

(Illus. Renata Liwska. Houghton Mifflin, 2010)

No comments: