Monday, May 11, 2009

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Lockhart, E. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. New York: Hyperion, 2008.

In the summer months, Frankie goes from geek to chic. Gone is the fuzzy hair and the nonexistent chest. Frankie has the body of a woman; things are looking up for her sophomore year at Alabaster Academy. On her first day, she becomes the girlfriend of one of the most popular boys on campus. This should make Frankie happy, but it doesn't. Matthew is always ditching her for his friend Alpha. He also underestimates her--he basically tells her she's a pretty face, a cute body, and not much else. One night, Frankie follows Matthew and stumbles on a meeting of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds, Alabaster's secret, all male society. Frankie knows a little about the Bassets because her dad was one. It becomes her mission to get noticed. She discovers the lost history of the order and sets out to return them to their former glory. Will Alabaster survive Frankie's escapades? Will Frankie?

What I thought: I could not put this book down. It was a riveting read. The narration threw me for an instant. I expected first person and got limited omniscient. But it worked for the book. I liked the narrator. It's someone I wish I knew better. Throughout this book, I kept thinking of the Dead Poets Society. This book is very like it. Without the suicide. With more girls. I support Frankie in all her schemes. Should make those boys think twice about dismissing her as a silly girl again. A great book, I highly recommend it.

No comments: