Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dear Mother, Dear Daughter by Jane Yolen & Heidi E. Y. Stemple

Yolen, Jane and Heidi E. Y. Stemple. Dear Mother, Dear Daughter. Illus. Gil Ashby. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong- Boyd's Mill Press, 2001.

This collection of poems, authored by a mother and daughter, is a conversation batten a daughter and a mother. The topics are familiar ones for those who are daughters and mothers. Homework, body image, cleaning your room, crushes, death, hobbies, extending bedtime, boredom, growing up, talking on the phone, PE, and money.

What I thought: These poems are brilliant. Heidi E. Y. Stemple writes with great insight as does Jane Yolen. These women have been both daughters and mothers and those experiences are evident in the poems. I recall having conversations on similar topics with my own mother. I don't have children of my own, but when I do, I plan to give my daughter a copy of this book so we can understand each other better. Thank you ladies for creating such a legacy for women to give their daughters.

No comments: