Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chicks with Sticks (It's a Purl Thing)

Lenhard, Elizabeth. Chicks with Sticks (It's a Purl Thing). New York: Speak, 2005.

Scottie's having a hard time dealing with her aunt's death. Amanda's worried someone will find out about her learning disability. Bella is the school's resident hippie, all smiles, peasant skirts, and wheat grass juice. Tay is one of guys, resident tomboy. Problem is she's also crushing on one of the guys. Knitting brings these four girls together. They become knitters and friends.

What I thought: This book was a quick read and gives a new meaning to chick lit. Although I'm not a knitter (I crochet!), I know enough to easily join the chicks with sticks in their journey. I liked that the author made the girls individuals. I'd like to see a book about friends who crochet, but I'm not the one to write it. I applaud Lenhard for taking an old hobby and giving it new life. I can't wait to read the other books in the series.

No comments: