Monday, April 25, 2022

Away with Words! Wise and Witty Poems for Language Lovers by Mary Ann Hoberman


This collection of clever poems that play with words covers everything from A to Z.

Thoughts: What a fun poetry collection! I can't wait to share some of these poems with elementary school students. I think Away with Words! will really make them think about how and why we use words the way we do. Some of the poems were tongue twisters so I'll need to practice or read them slowly when I share them with children. My favorite poems are Introduction, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, Com-Pear-ing, Dear Deers, Etymology, Horse, Just Think, Me, Note, and Parting. The illustrations are colorful and engaging. I especially like the faces Perry gives to letters and punctuation. My favorite illustrations are Contents,  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, Etymology, Me, Note, Punctuation, and the copyright page. 

You could use the poem ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ for a writing and art project. Name all the letters in the alphabet and then make them in the same style as the illustration for that poem. Them write a poem for each letter/person in your alphabet. 

Other Poetry Collections about wordplay, grammar, books, reading, and writing: 

Themes: Elementary, Word Play

(Illustrated by Perry Hoberman. Little, Brown and Company, 2022.)

No comments: