Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Longest Storm by Dan Yaccarino


When a storm comes, a family has to go inside. The storm is long. How will one parent, three kids, and a dog occupy themselves until the storm is over? 

ThoughtsSo I had a definite sense of déjà vu when I read The Longest Storm. After glancing at the information sent by the publisher I realized that I was remembering  the shutdown of Spring 2020. While a long-lived storm isn't quite the same as a global pandemic, it does give you an avenue to start a conversation with kids about their experiences during that time. The depiction of the family not getting along after too much time together resonated with me as it reminds me of times in my childhood--endlessly rainy summer days when I and my siblings were cooped up inside. We almost always got into fights. That's what kids do when they're bored. The illustrations are great. Colorful and evocative. I love how the colors and style change to suit the mood of what's happening in the story. I think The Longest Storm would pair well with Blackout by John Rocco. Look for The Longest Storm in a bookstore near you on August 31st!

Themes: Rain, Family

(Review copy provided by publisher. minedition, 2021.)

No comments: