Monday, January 25, 2021

The Tiny Baker by Hayley Barrett

A tiny bee owns a tearoom. She bakes sweet treats for her insect guests with the help of her ladybug staff. When the ladybug swarm, what's a tiny baker to do? 

Thoughts: Such a sweet story! I love all the details in both the text and the illustrations. The rhyming couplets add a lovely cadence to the story. I look forward to sharing The Tiny Baker with my storytime kids. I would love to have a tea party themed storytime. Alison Jay's illustrations are some of my favorites. I love the pastel colors and the effect of the crackle varnish. Here are a few books that I think would pair well with The Tiny Baker: Brimsby's Hats by Andrew Prahin, The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr, Tea Party Rules by Ame Dyckman, Tea Rex by Molly Idle, Chimpanzees for Tea! by Jo Empson, Alice in Wonderland: The Mad Hatter's Tea Party by Joe Rhatigan and Charles Nurnberg, Tea with Oliver by Mika Song, The Little Bitty Bakery by Leslie Muir, There's a Giraffe in My Soup by Ross Burach, and Tea Party Today: Poems to Sip and Savor by Eileen Spinelli. 

Themes: Bugs/Insects, Tea, Sweets, Eating Out 

(Illustrated by Alison Jay. Barefoot Books, 2020.)

No comments: