Monday, December 14, 2020

Federico and the Wolf by Rebecca J. Gomez


Federico is going to the store for his abuelo. He's to go straight there and back. A chance encounter with a wolf in the woods changes his story. 

Thoughts: There's so much to love about Federico and the Wolf. I love that Federico is a boy and he's going to visit his grandpa. Almost all the other Little Red Riding Hood variants I've read feature a girl as the title character going to visit her grandma. I like the Spanish words that are included in the text as well as the pronunciation and definitions at the end of the book. The illustrations are bright and colorful. I especially like the wolf's expressions throughout the story. The pico de gallo recipe extends the story. I'd love to see families cooking together after reading this story. I can't wait to add this book to my fairy tale storytime theme and also pair it with my other favorite Little Red Riding Hood stories, Little Red Hot by Eric A. Kimmel and Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion by Alex T. Smith

Themes: Fairy Tales, Little Red Riding Hood stories, Bilingual 

(Illustrated by Elisa Chavarri. Clarion Books, 2020.) 

No comments: