Monday, November 23, 2020

In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House by Laura Purdie Salas

Have you ever wondered what happens when you're asleep? Is it possible that when you're asleep  everything else is awake? 

Thoughts: What a fun poetry collection! It's a common supposition. What if my toys come alive when I asleep or not in the room? (I'm talking to you, Toy Story film franchise!) I like that Laura writes poems from the toys' perspective as well as other objects like pencils, a lunchbox, and spaghetti. My favorite poems are "Take Flight," "Overdue-Book Hide-and-Seek," Toothpaste Art," "Not Just Dental Floss," and "Revenge of the Lunchbox." Angela Matteson's illustrations are as full of fun as Laura's poems. I love all the details. There's so much to catch your eye on each page. I don't necessarily have favorite illustrations, but rather items that appear once or throughout the book. For example, the stuffed hippo, the origami jumping frog, the pencils, and the lunchbox. I think In the Middle of the Night presents children with an invitation to create. Write a poem about an inanimate object in your room or house that comes alive while you sleep. The possibilities are endless. 

Themes: Bedtime, Toys

(Illustrated by Angela Matteson. Wordsong, 2019.)

No comments: