Monday, November 16, 2020

Finding Treasure: A Collection of Collections by Michelle Schaub


A girl needs to bring a collection to school. She doesn't collect anything. In searching for the perfect collection, she explores the collections of her family, friends, and neighbors. Will she be inspired by their collections? 

Thoughts: This is such a fun poetry collection about collections. While reading the poems, I started to reflect on all the collections I've had over the years: pressed pennies, teddy bears, ceramic figurines, postcards, souvenir spoons, and wheat pennies. I still collect ceramic figurines but now they're mostly owls. I have a seashell collection and I also collect (or hoard) craft supplies. I lost my wheat penny collection in one of my moves, but a friend who works in retail is going to gift me with some for Christmas this year. My hope is that Finding Treasure inspires a new generation of collectors. My favorite poems are "My Mother's Button Box," Grandpa's Good Cents," "Granny's Teapots," and "Meg's Menagerie." Saldaña's digital media illustrations are detailed and draw the eye. My favorite illustrations are the teapots and the black and white animals. The note at the end of the book gives readers a little more information about collecting and how to start a collection. 

Themes: Poetry, Collections, Elementary

(Illustrated by Carmen Saldaña. Charlesbridge, 2019.)

No comments: