Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Follow the Recipe: Poems about Imagination, Celebration, & Cake by Marilyn Singer


Twenty-six poems function as recipes for various things like love, balance, and courage. 

Thoughts: Such a fun collection. When I was a child there was a plaque beside the wall telephone in the kitchen that was titled something like "Recipe for a Happy Home." Follow the Recipe reminds me of this plaque. The topics are interesting and I like that they all aren't food related. My favorite poems are "recipe for measurement," "recipe for a poem," "recipe for fairy tales," "recipe for reading," and "recipe for magic." Priceman's illustrations are full of color and whimsy. I especially like the incorporation of postage stamps. My favorite illustrations are "recipe for a good recipe," "recipe for a poem," "recipe for love," and "recipe for magic." I think this collection will be fun to share with children and then encourage them to write recipe poems by adding a word to the phrase "a recipe for." "recipe for memories" would also be a great staring point for children (or anyone really) to recall favorite food memories. 

My reviews of other poetry collections by Marilyn Singer: 

(Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman. Dial Books for Young Readers, 2020.)

No comments: