Monday, May 4, 2020

A Curious Menagerie by Carin Berger


A monkey and a cricket serve as your guides as they introduce you to numerous collective nouns for groups of animals.

Thoughts: I've been intrigued by collective nouns or animal group names since I was a child. This book is great. The dialogue format is engaging and informative. I love the extra collective nouns of the end papers and the extra information at the end of the book. I shared this book with first and second graders and I started with that extra information first so they would understand what collective nouns were. After reading A Curious Menagerie I read An Ambush of Tigers: A Wild Gathering of Collective Nouns by Betsy R. Rosenthal. A Curious Menagerie would be a great book to use as a story starter with kids. For example, write me a story about a gaze of raccoons. The illustrations are colorful and interesting. My favorites are a tower of giraffes, a flamboyance of flamingos, and a barrel of monkeys.

Themes: Animals, Names, Elementary

(Greenwillow, 2019.)

No comments: