Monday, February 17, 2020

If Picasso Painted a Snowman by Amy & Greg Newbold


This book wonders if a specific artist painted a snowman, what would it look like? Readers are introduced to thirteen artists and what their snowmen might look like.

Thoughts: This is such a clever idea. It's a fun and sneaky way to introduce kids to art. I love the invitation at the end for readers to create their own snowman. I've used this book both in storytime and when I read to first and second graders. In both instances, I ask the kids if they like each painting. If I were to turn this book into a program, I would keep track of their responses. The back of the book includes a Meet the Artists section and Greg Newbold's Advice for Artists.

Themes: Winter, Snowmen, Art

Artists Included:
Pablo Picasso
Joseph Mallord William Turner
Roy Lichtenstein
GEorgia O'Keefe
Gustav Klimt
Claude Monet
Pablita Velarde
Jackson Pollock
Salvador Dali
Paul Klee
Marc Chagall
Georges Seurat
Piet Mondrian

(Tilbury House Publishers, 2017.)

No comments: