Monday, October 14, 2019

Sleep Tight, Snow White: 15 Bewitching Bedtime Rhymes by Jen Arena

Say good night with fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters in this charming bedtime book.

What I thought: A clever collection with gorgeous illustrations. I enjoyed the mix of fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters (Snow White, Red Riding Hood, Princess and the Pea, Goldilocks, Little Bo Peep, Cinderella, Little Miss Muffet, Prince Charming, Wicked Queen, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Hansel and Gretel, Beauty and Beast, Jack and Jill, and Little Boy Blue). I love all the different textures in the illustrations and that they are so different from the Disney versions. I also appreciate that the characters have different races. My favorite illustrations are Snow White, Red Riding Hood, and Hansel and Gretel. I had great fun using this book for my fairy tales storytime in February. We looked for the wolf, counted sheep, and talked about the fact that "Bella" wasn't just a name. I look forward to using this book next summer when the CSLP theme is "Imagine Your Story."

Themes: Fairy Tales, Nursery Rhymes, Rhyming Books, Elementary

Illustrated by Lorena Alvarez. Knopf, 2017.


No comments: