Monday, October 28, 2019

Pick a Pumpkin by Patricia Toht


Join a family as they pick out pumpkins to celebrate fall. Choosing is just the start. Turning the pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns is the best part.

Thoughts: A wonderful story with great rhythm and interesting illustrations. I enjoy that Pick a Pumpkin, like Pick a Pine Tree, celebrates a yearly family tradition. When I was a kid, I don't remember where the pumpkin came from, but I do remember it was our job (the kids') to draw the face on with a marker and then Dad would do the carving. My favorite illustrations are the jack-o'-lantern lit up and the cover. I can see this book becoming an annual tradition.

Themes: Fall, Pumpkins, Halloween

Illustrated by Jarvis. Candlewick, 2019. Review copy provided by publisher.

No comments: