Wednesday, April 3, 2019

World Make Way: New poems Inspired by Art from the Metropolitan Museum of Art edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins

2018 Cybils Poetry Nominee

I think the title says it all.

Thoughts: This is a brilliant concept. World Make Way is a great way to introduce readers to art and poetry as well as inspiring them to try their hands at writing art inspired poetry. My favorite poems are "Paint Me" by Marilyn Singer, "Cat Watching a Spider" by Julie Fogliano, "Night-Shining White" by Elaine Magliaro, and "My Dog and I" by Ann Whitford Paul. This would be a great basis for a writing exercise or program for older elementary, middle school, and high school students. Coffee table art books would be a good source of art to inspire poetry. I look forward to using art inspired poetry as one of my poetry prompts as I celebrate National Poetry Month.

(Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2018)

1 comment:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Bridget,

So happy to know that you liked my poem!